Thursday 12 March 2009

PULLING THE HEADS OFF DAISIES

Whilst spending some quality me time with the latest Scrapbook Inspirations I came across a letter from Theresa Burton in which she told readers about her brilliant money saving idea for cheap fabric flowers. She buys bunches of artificial flowers from shops like Wilkos or Poundland and then pulls them apart and separates out the layers of petals.


Well I couldn't wait to give it a go. I spent a very happy, and weirdly therapeutic, hour pulling the heads off daisies, chrysanthemums, gerberas (my personal favourites) and even a delphinium to liberate the gorgeous petals from their tragic and tacky stems and thus release their inner crafting beauty. My stash of fabric lovelies has increased a gazillion fold and I'm looking forward to doing some altering, layering and generally floral fabulousness soon. (Watch this space... well not THIS space obviously, some other, future, space... )


In the mean time enjoy my flowery beauties...


We are lucky to have a shop here in town which amongst other things has a wide, WIDE range of artificial flowers. (The BGF and I cheerfully refer to it as "The Shed Loads of S*!~e" Shop") and their gerberas come apart a treat, lots of lovely, multi sized, frilly layers. Dunelm Mill is also a good place to look, and if you pick and choose carefully you can get lots of blooms per stem (delphiniums, sweet peas). The real beauty of this is that you can get big blooms at a fraction of the cost of say Bazzills Blooms. So thanks a bunch (groan) for the great tip Theresa!

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your happy thoughts. Maisie Moonshine x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...